Whenever I hear Warren Buffett speaks or read his annual letters to the shareholders at Berkshire Hathaway, there are always words of wisdom to be found. After all, he is the Oracle of Omaha, one of the most successful businessmen of the 20th century, and consistently rated as one of the wealthiest people in the world.
Warren Buffett has continually shared bits and pieces of his investment philosophy through a lifetime of memorable quotes where he uses simple, jargon-free language when referring to business and investments. There's much to learn from the quotes and quips by the legendary billionaire investor, which have exerted great influence over my own investment strategies as well. In this blog post, I have compiled 20 of the best insightful quotes from Warren Buffett.
1. "Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1."
2. "Risk comes from not knowing what you're doing."
3. "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently."
4. "Be fearful when others are greedy. Be greedy when others are fearful."
5. "It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price."
6. "I try to buy stock in businesses that are so wonderful that an idiot can run them. Because sooner or later, one will."
7. "Price is what you pay. Value is what you get."
8. "Whether we’re talking about socks or stocks, I like buying quality merchandise when it is marked down."
9. "You only have to do a very few things right in your life so long as you don't do too many things wrong."
10. "I don’t look to jump over 7-foot bars: I look around for 1-foot bars that I can step over."
11. "Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can’t buy what is popular and do well."
12. "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago."
13. "If a business does well, the stock eventually follows."
14. "Look at market fluctuations as your friend rather than your enemy; profit from folly rather than participate in it."
15. "Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks."
16. "Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good results."
17. "We don’t get paid for activity, just for being right. As to how long we’ll wait, we’ll wait indefinitely."
18. "The investor of today does not profit from yesterday's growth."
19. "If past history was all there was to the game, the richest people would be librarians."
20. “You don’t need to be a rocket scientist. Investing is not a game where the guy with the 160 IQ beats the guy with 130 IQ.”
Five Factors to Consider Before You Start Investing
The Biggest Reason Why Most People Can't Get Rich
Why Investing Early Makes Sense
Kelvin Wong is a millionaire investor and landlord. He currently owns a multi-million dollar property portfolio in Singapore, Australia and Malaysia. With his assets generating multiple streams of income to sustain his desired lifestyle, Kelvin became financially free at 39. He holds a Bachelor of Business (Dean's List) degree and a Diploma in Business Management. Kelvin writes about building wealth and achieving financial freedom in his free time.
Copyright © 2011 Kelvin Wong
Terms and Conditions